From Guelph, ON, comes the acoustic duo Tragedy Ann, made up of Braden Phelan and Liv Cazzola. They blend harmonies in songs both heartfelt and humourous, sometimes just for fun, but often rich observations and tender life moments. When they're fun, they remind one of New Brunswick's Tomato/Tomato, and when things get more poignant, they present a folkier version of John K. Samson.
There's lots of energy to the cuter material, and it's easy to appreciate lines such as "We had one straw left and I think it sucks." But the real killers are in songs such as Regulars, where we hear the sad stories and dementia of daily visitors to the neighbourhood lounge. Try not to shed a tear saying goodbye to beloved pet, a rescued stray, succumbing way too young to an illness. And for out-and-out, but effective sentimentality, there's "I'll be the dude you snooze on," a song about being an accidental pillow for your beloved who can't stay awake during a movie.
The duo is hitting the road to launch the album, and is currently on the East Coast touring with Moonfruits, and you can find them at:
- Thursday, Nov. 15 - Five and Dime, Saint John, NB
- Friday, Nov. 16 - Salty Towers, St. Andrews, NB
- Saturday, Nov. 17 - Grimross, Fredericton
- Sunday, Nov. 18 - Chez Loius, Moncton, NB
- Monday, Nov. 19 - House Concert, Sackville, NB
- Tuesday, Nov. 20 - The Tare Shop, Halifax
- Wednesday, Nov. 21 - Tall Sips On Stilts, Bear River, NS
- Thursday, Nov. 22 - Boulangerie Grains de Folie, Caraquet, NB
- Friday, Nov. 23 - House Concert, Kedgwick, NB