Thursday, September 15, 2011

MUSIC REVIEW OF THE DAY: LADY ANTEBELLUM - OWN THE NIGHT

I remember watching the last Grammy Awards, and thinking it was, for once, a pretty good show, what with Mick Jagger doing a great Solomon Burke tribute, and Arcade Fire winning and all.  One thing was driving me nuts though.  It was Lady Antebellum (awful name) winning several times, and THAT song getting played over and over.  I even made up a real-life response:  "It's a quarter after one, I'm a little drunk and I hate this song."

That's what I think of the trio's style:  catchy but ultimately lacking in substance.  Everything seems overly dramatic, and that continues on the new one.  There's lots of boy-girl duets again, these poor hurt creatures dumped a million times over, usually to the accompaniment of a string section.  Then there's the 70's pop duets, softer ones a la James Taylor and Carly Simon, the more electric in the grand Lindsey and Stevie tradition.  Country being the new pop, you know.  But even the rockiest songs aren't allowed to stray off country radio, but all that means is the token gesture of a pedal steel lick by the second verse.

I'm writing as I'm listening, and meanwhile, back at the CD, our poor singers have been ditched yet again!  "I guess I wanted you more", they harmonize.  And I hope those string players have a piece of the action, because they're getting more airtime than the guitarist.  And holy crap, that's a harp!  Jonathan Yudkin, stand up and take a bow, you're the first session harpist on a pop album since Elton John was in the Top 40.  Don't worry about Yudkin though, he's got lots of other work here, with his credits including cello, fiddle (a damn fine solo!), acoustic guitar, bouzouki (!), and mandolin.  He's one talented boy.  And I just noted the band's drummer is Chad Cromwell, who is Neil Young's drummer as well when he isn't using Crazy Horse.  Geez, Chad drummed on Rockin' In The Free World.  Well, a paycheque's a paycheque.  Speaking of that, it took seven people to write Wanted You More, including all three group members.  That royalty cheque is going to be split a lot of ways.  Lucky it's going to sell five million copies.

That's right.  I'm more interested in the liner notes than I am in the music.  Oh, the CD's over.  See ya.

1 comment:

  1. The first time I heard of Lady A was when they were announced as an opening act for a concert I was attending. I've NEVER been so blown away by an unknown band before, and they do NOT disappoint on their debut album! The songs have a lyrical style reminiscent of legends like Carole King and James Taylor, and the harmonies of the three singers are flawless. I especially appreciate that H. Scott and C. Kelley share lead vocal responsibilities throughout the album. A MUST HAVE for any country/folk music fan...and I even encourage Top 40 fans to give them a listen!

    ReplyDelete